Steps to Become a USA Hockey Coach
USA Hockey and the Coaching Education Program require both certification and registration to be eligible to coach. Registration is done online on a yearly basis. Certification is also required. A few basic steps requirements are as follows:
USA Hockey Requirements (Must be completed before participating in any team activities)
- Register as a member of USA Hockey (Cost is $40 plus any affiliate fees if applicable).
- Complete the background screening (found on your affiliate website).
- Complete the USA Hockey Safe Sport Training.
Coaching Education Program Requirements (Must be completed by December 31)
- Find, register and attend the required certification clinic. Most clinics can be attended online. (Cost is $50 plus any lunch fees if applicable) You can only attend one clinic per season and all coaches start at Level 1. (The coaching clinic season for Levels 1-3 officially runs from September 1 to December 31).
- Complete the online age-specific module(s) for the age level of play you are coaching. (Cost is $10 per module) (The online modules are available from September 1 to December 31.)
- You cannot be added to the official roster (be on the ice during games) if all of the above are not complete.
For more information go to: www.usahockey.com
- Class fees will be reimbursed by Polar Bear Hockey by submitting copies of receipts.